Cranmer Local History Group
Researching the history of Aslockton, Scarrington and Whatton-in-the-Vale - Established 2001
 
 
 
 

 

Articles from the Cranmer Local History Group


Whatton timeline
Gregg Redford Monday 11th February 2008

1066                                   The Manor of Whatton with jurisdiction over one of the three manors of Aslockton and one the two manors of Hawkesworth are granted to Gilbert de Grand as Tennant in Chief by William 1st. Gilbert installs Robert as Lord of the Manor.

1088                                   Whatton is included in the Domesday Book.

1100 – 1134                     Walter succeeds his father (Robert) as Lord of the Manor. Walter is Knighted by Henry I and ‘Arms’ were granted.

1135 – 1189                     Robert succeeds his father (Walter).
Adelina succeeds her father (Robert) and becomes Dame of the Manor.
Adelina married William Lord Heriz (of Gonalston).
William Lord Heriz dies.

1147                                   Pope BLESSED EUGENE III issues a papal bull giving the residents of Aslockton (a chapelry within the parish of Whatton) the right of Burial in Whatton Church.

1190                                   Adelina make a grant of the Church and Land in Whatton (and Aslockton) to Welbeck Abbey in memory of her father (Robert) and her late husband (William Lord Heriz).
Adelina pays Henry II 100 marks so that she can marry whomever she pleases.

1191 – 1205                     Adelina recorded as the ‘Dame of the Manor of Whatton’ in the 4th Scutage of King John.
Adelina marries Adam de Novo Mercato  (Newmarch), Lord of the Manor of Bentley (Yorkshire).
WHATTON MANOR PASSES TO THE NEWMARCH FAMILY THROUGH MARRIAGE.

1205 – 1215                     Henry de Novo Mercato (Newmarch), the son of Adam and Adelina succeeds to the Manors of Bentley and Whatton.

1216                                   Adam succeeds his father (Henry) as the Lord of the Manors of Whatton and Bentley.

1237                                   John, Adams eldest son succeeds him as Lord of the Manor of Bentley.
Adam’s younger son, also an Adam succeeds his father to the Manor of Whatton.
Two Newmarch lines are created, the BENTLEY LINE and the WHATTON LINE.

1241                                   Adam Newmarch receives a grant of land from Welbeck Abbey, described as being; ‘that land that lies between his house and the causeway to Aslockton’.

 

1243                                   Adam de Newmarch recorded as holding the ‘fee of Whatton’ from Gilbert de Gand.

1275                                   Henry de Newmarch succeeds his father (Adam) to the Manor of Whatton.
Henry confirms Adelina’s gift to Welbeck Abbey (the Church and lands).
Henry is granted the ‘right of free fishing’.

 

1315                                   Thomas de Newmarch succeeds his father (Henry) to the Manor of Whatton.
Thomas is commanded by Edward II to ‘led his men and repel the Scots’.

 

1334                                   Thomas de Newmarch is granted a Charter of ‘Market and Fair’ by Edward III

 

1335 – 1375                     Thomas de Newmarch succeeds his father (Thomas) to the Manor of Whatton.

 

1377                                   Hugh de Newmarch succeeds his father (Thomas) as the Lord of the Manor.
The grant of a Charter of ‘Market and Fair’ is confirmed.
Hugh purchases the ‘fee’ of Whatton Manor for himself and his heirs.

 

1378 – 1403                     Elizabeth de Newmarch, daughter and heiress of Hugh de Newmarch, marries her cousin Ralph de Newmarch of the BENTLEY branch of the family. The marriage unites the BENTLEY and WHATTON lines of the family.
Ralph de Newmarch succeeds to the Manors of BENTLEY and WHATTON.

 

1404 – 1424                     Robert de Newmarch (son of Ralph and Elizabeth) succeeds to the Manors of BENTLEY and WHATTON.

 

1425                                   Elizabeth de Newmarch daughter and heiress of Robert marries John Nevill, younger son of the Duke of Westmorland.
THE MANOR OF WHATTON PASSES TO THE NEVILL FAMILY THROUGH MARRIAGE.

 

1458                                   Joan daughter and heiress of John Nevill and Elizabeth de Newarch marries Sir William Gascoigne.
THE MANOR OF WHATTON PASSES TO THE GASCOIGNE FAMILY THROUGH MARRIAGE.

 

1501                                   Thomas Cranmer (the ather f Archbishop Cranmer) is buried in Whatton Church.

 

1517                                   Royal Commission of Henry VIII establishes that land has been unlawfully enclosed in Whatton by Sir William Gascoigne.

 

1555                                   Thomas Cranmer (Nephew of the Archbishop) petitions Queen Elizabeth I for the right to sell the Rectory of the Church and lands in Whatton and Aslockton (inherited from Archbishop Thomas Cranmer). The petition is granted.
The Rectory of Whatton with Aslockton is sold to Nicholas Rossell and Thomas Brookesby and the heirs of Nicholas.

 

1560 – 1596                     Sir William Gascoigne sells Whatton Manor to Sir Thomas Stanhope of Shelford (the Grandfather of Phillip the 1st Earl of Chesterfield).
Whatton Manor passed, through Sale to the Stanhope Family.

 

1694                                   Sir William Stanhope establishes almhouses near Shelford for poor men of six parishes including Whatton.

 

1738                                   John Clayton leaves £10 in his will for the poor of Whatton.

 

1764                                   Thomas Hall grandfather of Thomas Dickinson Hall enrolled as a freeman of Nottingham.

 

1789 – 1790                     Whatton Enclosure Act enacted.

 

1807                                   Whatton Church repaired and pewed at a cost of £1,700.

 

1840                                   Thomas Hall buys Whatton Manor for his grandson Thomas Dickinson Hall.
Thomas Dickinson Hall becomes Lord of the Manor of Whatton.
The patronage of the Church reunited with the Lordship of the Manor.
WHATTON MANOR PASSES BY SALE, TO THE HALL FAMILY.

 

1841                                   The building of Whatton Manor on Manor Lane completed.

 

1841 – 1863                     The majority of the cottages and farm houses rebuilt by Thomas Dickinson Hall.
Aslockton Parish  is transferred to the Parish of Scarrington.

 

1870                                   Thomas Dickinson Hall funds the ‘restoration’ of Whatton Church.

 

1874                                   Cecil Haffenden Hall (Thomas’s heir) dies in an acciden

 

1879                                   Thomas Dickinson Hall dies.


1881                                   Montagu Haffenden Hall inherits from his Grandfather (Thomas  Dickinson Hall).

 

1890                                   Sophia Hall funds the building of St. Thomas in Aslockton in memory of her son Thomas Kendrick Hall (former Vicar of Whatton).

 

1896                                   Sophia Hall dies.

 

1919                                   Montagu Haffenden Hall sells Whatton Manor. The Manor ceases to be a ‘closed’ manor.

©2007 - GR Redford
 
 
 
 
 

 

Our next meeting
Archaeology of Church Towers
Tuesday 2nd May 2017
19:45:00 p.m.
Archaeology of Church Towers presented by Dr. Chris Brook.