|Cranmer Local History Group|
|Researching the history of Aslockton, Scarrington and Whatton-in-the-Vale - Established 2001|
Articles from the Cranmer Local History Group
|TD Hall's Whatton Manor House|
|Gregg Redford||Tuesday 10th September 2019|
|Thomas Dickinson Hall built his Manor House on Hall Lane (now Manor Lane) in 1840. Whilst the Manor could not be called a stately home, it was quite substantial.
The Manor was approached from Hall Lane by a wide carriage drive (the drive was lined with Scotch Firs and Cedars) and was built of brick from the Isle of Axholme. The House also boasted its own Electric Plant, powered by 2 ½ horse power Lister petrol engine with two Dynamos, one to provide power for 60 lights and the other for pumping purposes.
The Photograph below shows the main entrance. Entering through the main door (made of Oak) brought you into a substantial Inner Hall which apparently measured some 23ft by 29ft and boasted a Gallery supported by three stone pillars.
The reception rooms were arranged on the ground floor and were described in the Sale Particulars as follows:
‘Dining Room on the ground floor, measuring 32ft x 22ft and lighted by a wide and lofty bay window. The walls are panelled and grained, and the Chimney Piece is of stone.’
Adjoining the Dining Room was the Library, this room was said to be:
‘21ft by 20 ft 9in., with carved stone chimney-piece and large bay window, and having a handsome range of Bookshelves and Cupboards in light oak.’
The Drawing Room, the writer of the particulars described as being:
‘a noble apartment facing South East and South West, measuring 31 ft 6 in. x 28 ft 6 in., and lighted by two large bay windows. The Chimney-piece is of rich white marble, and the ceiling of finely moulded plaster.’
Off the Drawing Room was a side entrance hall that opened onto the Tennis Lawn.
The photograph shows the South-east front of the Manor.
Also accessed from the Side Hall was ‘a very fine Billard Room’, measuring 27 ft 6 in x 22 ft. and was lighted by two large bay windows.
There was one further principal room on the Ground floor and that was the Morning or Gun Room which was small compared with the other rooms (17 ft 6 in x 16 ft) but it did have the benefit of a ‘Lavatory and W.C’ and a ‘large STRONG ROOM’.
The main staircase was located in the Side Hall, and provided access to the six principle Bedrooms, two dressing rooms, two WCs and a Bathroom.
Two separate staircases provided access to the North-east landing where there were a further six bedroom.
The 2nd floor held 5 servants bedrooms, Bacon Chamber and a large store room.
The Domestic Offices were described are being ‘spacious and admirably arranged. They include stone paved passage, SERVING ROOM, BUTLER’S PANTRY, fitted with ample cupboards and sink, BUTLER’S BEDROOM, with Strong Room, HOUSEKEEPER’S ROOM with 2 large linen Cupboards, STORE ROOM fitted with boards and shelves, CHINA CLOSET, a very large KITCHEN with Herald Range and 2 bake ovens, SCULLERY with Range and porcelain sink, SERVANT’S HALL, 2 larders and Coal Room’.
In the basement were 3 WINE CELLARS, BEER CELLAR, a CELLAR and a DIARY.
The Hall family occupied the Manor from 1840 to its sale in 1919 to Samuel Ernest Chesterman who in turn sold it to William Goodacre Player (the son of John Player of John Player and Sons).
The Manor itself survived until the mid 1960s when it had to be demolished, the original stables survive and can still be seen from Manor Lane.
|©2005 - GR Redford|
|Â©2013 - 2019 GR Redford and Cranmer Local History Group all rights reserved.|