SK 73 NW
Shelter at Aslockton Railway Station
Railway platform shelter. Late C19 for the Great Northern Railway. Small timber framed shelter with timber cladding and a Welsh slate roof Single storey, rectangular plan. Front of five bays, glazed above a panelled base. Each bay has a three light window with a narrow mullion and central transom; the head of each light is shaped by the triangle at the top of each mullion. The end bay on the right has two lights only, the left hand one of which is the doorway. The base has vertical boarding with an expressed frame, the sides and probably the rear wall have diagonal boarding. Hipped roof with spiked finials. Side and rear walls plain. Plain interior with horizontal boarding, vertically boarded dado and rear wall. History: This structure appears to have been constructed from standard components of Midland Railway signal boxes of the design which was current from c1880-c1905. The station is however on a line constructed by the Great Northern Railway in the 1860's and which continued to belong to that company until 1923. It may be that the shelter was moved to the site after that date but its construction does seem to date from the period indicated.
Listing NGR: SK7413239908
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence