|Cranmer Local History Group|
|Researching the history of Aslockton, Scarrington and Whatton-in-the-Vale - Established 2001|
Cranmer Local History Group Listed Buildings
|Church of St John of Beverley|
|Grade||II*||English Heritage Reference||448185|
|Date Listed||Wednesday 1st December 1965||Ordnance Survey Grid||SK7450139674|
|Address||St John of Beverley Church Street Whatton-in-the-Vale Nottinghamshire NG13 9EN|
|WHATTON CHURCH STREET
SK 73 NW
(north west side)
6/159 Church of St. John
Parish church. Cll, C14. North aisle C14. Chancel and south aisle rebuilt 1846. Nave and tower rebuilt by Rev. T. Butler, 1870. Dressed stone and ashlar. Slate roofs. Chamfered and moulded plinths, sill bands, moulded eaves. Coped gables, some with crosses. Nave, north aisle, north porch, Cranmer Chapel,
chancel, south aisle, south porch, crossing tower. Nave clerestory, 3 bays, has on each side, 2 trefoil and single
quatrefoil windows, C19, with hood moulds. West end has restored C14 quadruple lancet, with Decorated tracery and hood mould. Above, small quatrefoil light with hood mould. North aisle, 3 bays, has to east a buttress and a pair of corner buttresses, 2 setoffs. To left of north porch, projecting stepped stair
enclosure now forming chimney stack. West end has restored triple lancet with reticulated tracery and hood mould. North side has to left, C19 Decorated style triple lancet. To right, C14 reticulated triple lancet. Both have C19 hood moulds. North porch has restored chamfered and rebated doorway with filleted round shafts. Barrel vaulted interior has C18 oak benches and C14 moulded inner doorway with filleted shafts. Cranmer Chapel
to east of north aisle, single bay, has diagonal buttress. East end has late C14 reticulated 5 light lancet with hood mould and mask stops. Buttressed chancel, 3 bays, C13 style, has chamfered plinth and sill band. Bracketed eaves. Windows are chamfered lancets with hood moulds. North side has to east, a lancet, and
to west, 2 double lancets. South side has similar fenestration.
East end has 3 stepped lancets with coved reveals. South aisle, 3 bays, has at each end a pair of corner buttresses, 2 setoffs.East end has C19 triple lancet with ogee heads and reticulated tracery. West end has similar window with flowing tracery.
South side has 2 C19 triple lancets, with Decorated tracery. Both have hood moulds. That to right has mask stops. South porch has pair of diagonal buttresses and above, coped gable with kneelers. Chamfered and rebated doorway with filleted shafts. On each side, single chamfered square headed window. Interior
has plain wood benches and common rafter roof. Restored inner south door has keeled roll moulding and hood mould. C19 doors. Crossing tower, 3 stages, has string course, and parapet with 4 pinnacles. Pair of buttresses to east. South side has central door with hoodmould and stops. To right, 2 stage canted stair turret with shouldered door and 6 stair lights. Above, 2 C13 double lancet bell openings with shafts, hoodmoulds and stops.
East side has, above a similar single lancet and above it, clock. North side has blocked opening containing 2 plain lancets. Above, a similar lancet. Above again, pair of bell openings as to south. Setback octagonal spire has 2 tiers of gabled lucarnes with double lancets. Above, finial and weathercock. Nave arcades, C14 style, 4 bays, have each 3 octagonal piers with octagonal bases and capitals. Matching responds without bases.
North arcade has hood moulds with mask stops on both sides. Principal rafter roof with arch braces and cusped struts. West window has shafts and hood moulds and stained glass, 1890. North aisle has partial sill band and north side and east end windows have keeled shafts. C19 lean-to roof with arch braces.
West end has traceried panelled wooden screen with billeted transom, C19 incorporatintg C16 material. North side has small door to former external stair. To its right, gabled C14 tomb recess with cusped trefoil head, containing full size effigy in cassock, probably Robert de Whatton, c.1310. Spearhead C19 railing. To its right, low elliptical headed door. Above it, notable C14 angel corbel and bracketed crocketed canopy. To
right again, gabled trefoil headed tomb recess, C14, restored, with hood mould and crocketed finial. Cranmer Chapel at east end has oak fittings in early C17 style, 1957. East window has stained glass to Thomas Dickinson Hall, 1879. Flanked by single C14 mask corbels. South side has trefoil headed C13 piscina and
above it, remains of chamfered aumbry. To its right, notable C14 King David corbel with remains of gabled crocketed canopy. South aisle has windows with keeled shafts. Roof as north aisle. East window has outstanding stained glass to Harrison family, 1878, by Morris and Co. to designs by Burne-Jones. South side
east window has stained glass to Innocent family, c.1900, by Heaton, Butler and Bayne. Westernmost and west end windows have stained glass to members of Innocent family, late C19. Crossing
tower arches, C14 style, have triple chamfers and rebates, matching responds and hood moulds. Crossing has to north, C13 chamfered recess and to south, C13 chamfered doorway. Chancel has keeled sill band. King post roof with wall shafts, arch braces and curved struts. East end windows have clustered marble shafts, hood moulds and stops. North side has 2 windows with patterned stained glass, 1889. East end has stained glass window by Kempe and Co., 1900. South side has to east trefoil headed triple sedilia with angel corbels. 2 eastern windows have stained glass, late C19. Western window has patterned stained glass in head. Fittings include ashlar font, 1662, with panelled octagonal stem inscribed with shield and date. Tapered panelled
octagonal bowl with strapwork. C18 wooden cover with turned knob. Carved oak octagonal pulpit on corbelled ashlar base, C19.
C19 oak lectern with cross foot and pair of brass candlesticks. Large C19 brass eagle lectern. Mid C19 matchboard benches. Carved, pierced clergy desks and stalls with finials. C14 style timber reredos, with triptych and crested canopy, c.1885. Monuments include chest tomb of Sir Richard de Watton, early C14, with blank shields in quatrefoil panels and full size crusader effigy with shield. Alabaster tomb chest of Hugh de Newmarch, late C14, with crested shield panels and full size knight effigy. Notable incised floor slab, 1501, to Thomas
Cranmer, Snr. Remains of lantern cross with panel showing cruxifixion. Incised slate referring to Charity of John Wells, 1710. Marble and slate tablet on brackets, signed "T. Barker, Nottm", and brass signed "R. E. Swinfin, Middle Pavement, Nottm." Both to Elizabeth Bower, 1892. Brass, 1892, referring to restoration of tomb of Sir Richard de Watton (sic) with text of inscription. Roll of honour in moulded frame. Classical style alabaster war memorial with open pediment, Doric columns and crucifix, c.1920.
Listing NGR: SK7450139674
|©2013 - 2019 - GR Redford and Cranmer Local History Group all rights reserved.|