WHATTON HALL LANE
SK 73 NW
(south east side)
6/162 Stable court at
Stable court. 1839. Possibly by A. Salvin. For Thomas Dickinson. Jacobean revival style. Yellow brick. Gabled slate roofs. Ashlar dressings. Shouldered coped gables. Single large ridge stack.
Square plan around courtyard, plus adjoining double-gabled wing. Single and 2 storeys, 7 bays wide by 5 bays deep. C-plan. Windows are metal casements. To south west, square gatehouse, 3 stages, with octagonal corner towers, with ogee domes. Chamfered plinth string course and crenellated parapet. Pair of barred wooden gates with fluer de lys heads. Above, panel containing clock. Stepped hoodmould framing panel with Arms. Opposite side has square panel
inscribed "1839". South west side, 5 bays, has gabled bay at each end, with a casement. Intermediate recessed bays have each a casement. North east front, 7 bays, has central four centred arched opening with shouldered gable and remains of bell turret. To right, 2 casements and pair of garage doors. Rear range has to south east, off centre chamfered doorway. Above, 4 shouldered coped gabled cross eaves dormers. To right, boundary wall to yard, with 3 doors with
pointed and segmental heads. Courtyard has to south west, 2 pointed doorways to rear wing. To their right, beyond boundary wall, casement flanked by single doors with overlights. To right again, lean-to plastic roofed garage. Gatehouse has four centred arched opening. To right again, door with overlight. North west side has projecting gabled central bay with four centred arched opening. To its left, 2 casements. To right, pair of garage doors. Above, central casement. North east side has central chamfered archway flanked by single garage doors.
Listing NGR: SK7418537937
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.