Cranmer Local History Group
Researching the history of Aslockton, Scarrington and Whatton-in-the-Vale - Established 2001
 
 
 
 

 

Cranmer Local History Group Trade Directories


Whites Directory 1844
Year of Publication 1844

WATTON PARISH
Includes the two townships of Whatton and Aslacton, which keep their poor separately, and contain together 976 inhabitants and about 3400 acres of land in the Vale of the Smite, where that river is augmented by the Wipling.

WATTON village and township is on the south side of the Grantham road, three miles East by South of Bingham. It was anciently called Watone, from its watery situation, the flood water lying longer here than in many other places.

It contains 532 inhabitants, and 1800 acres of land, and was enclosed in the year 1790, when 36A. 111r 1p. were allotted to the vicar, and 120A. 3n. 5n. to the impropriator, G. S. Foljambe, Esq., in lieu of tithes. The latter sold his allotment to Thomas Hall, Esq., of Nottingham, who now owns 800 acres here, having purchased several farms of the lord of the manor, the Earl of Chesterfield, who still holds 320 acres, and the remainder belongs to seve­ral smaller freeholders.

T. D. Hall, Esq., erected in 1841 a large and elegant mansion, near the southern point of the parish, which stands on, a gentle eminence, and commands extensive and picturesque views over the Vale of Belvoir; its majestic castle, with the Leicestershire hills, are seen in the distance, and is delightfully surrounded with pleasure grounds and thriving plantations. It is built in the Elizabethan style, a great part of the village

is rebuilt, slated, and stuccoed, in the same style as the Manor House, which gives an air of elegance and neatness rarely to be met with in an agricultural village. After the Conquest, this manor was of the fee of Gilbert de Gand. It was long held by the Whattons, Newmarches, and Gascoignes, the latter of whom sold it to the father of the first Earl of Chesterfield; but some of the lands were successively held by the Whalleys, Gelsthorps, and others. The Church, which Adelina de Whatton gave to Welbeck, has a handsome tower and spire with five and contains many ancient monuments of the Whatton, Newmarch, Cranmer families. The whole was repewed in 1807, at the cost of £1,700., except the chancel, which is in a very decayed state, and the duty of repairing which belongs to the owner of the impropriate lands. The Vicarage is valued in the King's books at £5. 6s. 8d.  G. S. Foljambe Esq., is the patron, and the Rev. H. N. Bousfield, B. A., is the incumbent. A Methodist chapel was built here in 1825. The charities consist of the Poor's close, (one acre,) the tenant of which distributes three tons of coals, and £12 left by John Clayter, in 1738 and now in the bank at 2½ per cent yearly; and £12.

Aslacton is a pleasant Village and township on the. N. side of the Smite, one mile N. by W. of Whatton, and 2 miles E. of Bingham. It ,contains 424 inhabitants, and 1600 acres of land, most of which is occupied by the owners, except the Abbey farm, (200 acres,) which belongs to King's Cliff school, in Northamptonshire, and the following allotments made at the enclosure in 1780, viz, :-65 acres to Alexander Heaton and William Bilbies, Esq., in lieu of the impropriated tithes, and 44 acres to the vicar of Whatton, in lieu of the vicarial tithes.

It consists of as many manors as it as owners, and was formerly a chapelry, but its chapel was in ruins many years ago, and a writer in the 62nd vol. of the Gentlemen's magazine, says, " part of the walls still, remain; these are visible under a modern built house of brick and tile, and the chapel itself is now a common alehouse." The inhabitants now use Whatton church, and pay one-third of the church-rate.

After the Conquest, Aslacton was of the fees of Walter D'Agincourt, Ilbert de Lacey, and Gilbert de Gand, and a portion of it was long held by a family of its own name, and from them passed to the Cranmers, of whom was Archbishop Cranmer, the great church reformer and martyr, who was born here in 1489, and became in 1532, the first Protestant Archbishop of Canterbury. The life of this eminent prelate is the subject of a volume, therefore a brief notice of his last sufferings, under the persecution of Queen Mary, must here suffice. " After condemnation, he was induced to sign a recantation ; but having nobly denied his error, and withdrawn that confession, he was condemned to the stake, at which he suffered on the 21st of March, 1556. To this he was brought without any official notice, though he had reason to expect it; and when tied to it he was obliged to listen to all the charges and aspersions of Dr. Cole; but Cranmer boldly replied, 1 believe every word and sentence taught by our Saviour Christ, his apostles, and the prophets of the Old and New Testament; but as to the Pope, I refuse him as Christ’s enemy, or Anti-Christ, with all his false doctrines.'  So great was his sorrow for his recantation, and so determined was his spirit at the last hour, that he calmly held his right hand in the flames till it dropped off saying, ' this hand has offended;' and this he was enabled to do, as his executioners had taken care to keep up a slow fire in order that he should suffer the utmost pain of his punishment, as a proof of their regard for Christian mercies.—It has been stated that after his whole body had been reduced to ashes, his heart was found entire, and untouched by the fire which by some of the bystanders was considered as an argument in favour of his hearty love of the truth;  whilst others looked upon it as a proof of the heretical obduracy of that vital part, which would not yield even to the warm argument of a blazing Catholic fire.’

The site of the manor house, which was the seat of Archbishop Cranmer : and many of his ancestors, is now occupied by the farm-house of Mr. Wm. Green. Near it may still be distinctly traced several moats, islands, and other remains of the pleasure grounds, and at a short distance is a raised walk which leads to Orston and is yet called Cranmer’s walk. At the west end, on crossing a moat, the visitor may ascend a  square mount of considerable elevation, and from thence have an exten­sive prospect. Here are also two other mounts, said to have been raised by the Archbishop, but they have been greatly reduced by slime' of the former owners of the estate. On one of them, tradition says the Archbishop, " was wont to sit and survey the surrounding country, and listen to the tunable bells of Whatton."

In 1816, John Marriott left yearly 'out of his farm at Aslacton, to be distributed in bread at Christmas

WATTON.

Blytow William                                                          shoemaker
Bradshaw Rev. John B.A.                                          curate

Caunt Wm.                                                                 collar and harness maker

Dove Alice                                                                  vict. Griffins Head and shopkeeper

Greasley Miriam                                                         dress maker

Hall Ths Dickinson Esq                                             Manor House

Haywood Jane                                                           shopkeeper

Hooper Elizabeth                                                       dress maker

Hooper William                                                         butcher

Huckerby Judith Maria                                             dress maker

Leavers George                                                          corn miller and overseer

Mason Francis                                                                        parish clerk

Mason William                                                           blacksmith

Parnham Thoas                                                          gamekeeper

Reddish John                                                              baker and shopkeeper

Sharrack Robt.                                                                       Shoemaker

Talbot Francis                                                             veterinary surgeon

Tutbury William                                                         tailor

Tyler Wm.                                                                   Joiner & wheelwright

White Elizabeth                                                          dress maker

FARMERS

Bower Wm                                                                 Field

Capendale Geo

Clay Elizabeth

Fisher Samuel

Foster Francis

Gelsthorpe J                                                                Field

Innocent George

Innocent Wm

Mann Thos                                                                 Field

Mason William

Morley John

Smith John

 

CARRIERS

George Moss to Nottingham Wednesday and Saturday.

John Reddish to Newark Wed. & to Nottingham Sat.

 

                                   


 

ASLACTON

Bates James,                                                                bricklayer and shop-keeper

Coulson Martha,                                                                               dress maker

Dawn John                                                                                         cottager

Dawn William,                                                                                  shoe maker

Franks Thomas,                                                                 shoe maker

Goodband Ester,                                                                                dress maker

Hand Thomas,                                                                                   blacksmith

Homer Henry,                                                                                   gent

Keyworth Mary,                                                                                grocer & draper

Marriott Henry                                                          joiner

Marriott John,                                                                        schoolmaster and overseer

Monks Jas.                                                                  Higgler, Lane Ends

Morley George,                                                                   tailor

Oliver William,                                                           corn miller
Parnham William,                                                      butcher

Payling William                                                          butcher

Porter Henry                                                              beer house and farmer

Smith Richard                                                                        shoemaker

Thornton Thomas                                                      vict. Greyhound

Towers Page                                                               shoemaker

Wilson Richard                                                          wheelwright

 

FARMERS

Cheetle John                                                               Greenedge

Chettle Samuel                                                           Abbey Farm

Green Joseph

Keyworth Robert                                                       and maltster

Marriott Edward

Oliver John

Sills Hy.                                                                      Grange

Wheatley Thomas

 

CARRIER

John Saunders, to Nottingham Sat. and the Newark Wednesday.           


 
 
 
 
 
©2013 - 2019- GR Redford and Cranmer Local History Group all rights reserved.